Neonatology is a subspecialty that consist of the medical care of the newborn infants, speciality the ill or premature newborn infant. It is a hospital based speciality, and is usually practiced in neonatal intensive care units (NICUs).
Types of Care/Treatment, Neonatologist provides:-
- Diagnose and treat newborns with conditions such as breathing disorders, infections, and birth defects.
- Coordinate care and medically manage newborns born premature, critically ill, or in need of surgery.
- Ensure that critically ill newborns receive the proper nutrition for healing and growth.
- Provide care to the newborn at a cesarean or other delivery that involves medical problems in the mother or baby that may compromise the infant’s health and require medical intervention in the delivery room.
- Stabilize and treat newborns with any life-threatening medical problems.